Tuesday, August 15, 2006

So it struck me last night that there could be a source.
For the past few weeks, I have been slowly creeping towards accepting the notion that Justin Timberlake may actually have talent. I had fought this idea for a long time, and even when his solo album blew up over conceivable form of radio, and he was beloved by the gays and the thugs and the teenyboppers, I held true to my [near always correct] knee jerk reaction. But, I have been slowly letting myself accept that he may, in fact, be bringing sexy back.
But last night it hit me.
It may not be him bringing it back.

I think it is Aaliyah. I think when Aaliyah died in 2001, her soul left her body and took over Justin Timberlake.

Pudding [where the proof is, duh] :

Somehow, Justin Timberlake has R&B cred despite being in one of the most successful boy bands of all time. That shouldn’t have happened.

Aaliyah launched her career by pairing up and marrying R. Kelly, clearly like 47 years her senior, where she exploded into a bunch of megasexuality. JT basically got his solo career off the ground by first popping Britney’s cherry, then linking himself sexually to Janet Jackson [at least to her boob] and then to Cameron Diez, who is clearly 47 years older than he.

JT is now being produced by Timberland. And a bunch of other people. But they don’t help my fabulous theory. In any case, the move to darker experimental dance is the exact same Timberland path that Aaliyah was taking. Every song he has released can as easily play in my head with Aaliyah singing as it can by him.

Aaliyah played a vampire. And she moved like quite the little soul stealing siren. I don’t believe in vampires, or that she really was one. I’m just sayin.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home